The TN visa, or TN nonimmigrant status, is a work authorization category under U.S. immigration and The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) available to citizens of Canada and Mexico. Under a TN visa qualified Canadian and Mexican professionals can enter the U.S. to work under certain identified NAFTA professions. TN-1 visa status is granted to qualified Canadian citizens while TN-2 visa status is granted to qualified Mexican citizens. You may qualify for TN visa status, if:
- You are a citizen (Not permanent resident) of either Canada or Mexico;
- The position offered by your potential employer qualifies as a profession under NAFTA;
- The position in the U.S. requires a NAFTA professional;
- You have an offer of employment for a part-time or full-time position with a U.S. employer, or, are a Canadian employer with U.S. contracts; and
- You meet the minimum qualifications for the position as listed under NAFTA.