The TN visa is a non-immigrant visa. Non-immigrant visas are reserved for employees with the intent to stay and work within the United States on a temporary non-immigrant basis. This means that the employee must maintain their ties to their home country and maintain the intent to return to their home country at the completion of their temporary work assignment in the United States.

If the intent of the employee and the employer becomes permanent in nature, it is often advisable to change to a visa category that allows immigrant intent, or the intent to remain in the United States on a permanent basis. The most common visa that allows for a permanent transition to the United States is the H1B visa.

Mr. Richards has years of experience filing change of status applications from TN visas to H1B visas. If your intent has changed from temporary to permanent, then the H1B visa should be considered. Contact Mr. Richards for assistance or questions about the H1B visa.

E-mail: or Call: 1-716-970-4007